20th Annual Walk for Dignity • Sunday, April 28, 2019
Put on your walking shoes and a smile, and join us for a fun, family-friendly event that’s all about remembrance and respect! The Iowa City Hospice Walk for Dignity honors the memories of loved ones as it raises funds to bring compassionate end-of-life care to everyone in our community. For 20 years the Walk for Dignity has brought us together to celebrate life, and this year, we’re also celebrating you! We’re offering a variety of new incentives and gifts for our walkers and teams – see the donation form for details.
We encourage involvement of both individuals and teams! This is a great event to share with friends, co-workers, and loved ones. Thousands of people in our seven-county service area have been impacted by hospice care, and chances are you know quite a few of them. We’ll celebrate with music, treats, heartfelt tributes, and more.
- Donation drop-off starts at 11am
- Time of Remembrance gathering begins at noon by the Memorial Wreath. Please arrive early to tie a ribbon on the wreath and write the name of your loved one. These names will be read during a short ceremony.
- Walk for Dignity begins at 1pm
Help us to ensure that quality, compassionate hospice care and bereavement services are avilable to anyone in our community who needs them – and will be for years to come.
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, Iowa City Hospice uses your gifts and donations to continue our vital services, and secure a sustainable future. We don’t turn anyone away because they are unable to pay, and your support helps to maintain that life-affirming legacy.
For more details, information, or to get involved, please email or call Judy Frits at 319-688-4213 or 800-897-3052, or use any of the following resources:
- Form a team (teams may create their own t-shirt – download our logo below!)
- Set up an online giving/fundraising page (team or individual)
- Collect donations online or use our printable donation form (or do both)
- View the Walk for Dignity routes, one or three mile
- Download an “I Walk in Memory of…” printable tribute sign
- Download an Iowa City Hospice logo for your team shirt, website or social media
- Shop for Iowa City Hospice logo clothing and gifts at Café Press (we get $2 per item!)
- Click here to see photos of the 2018 Walk fun
- Learn more about Iowa City Hospice
- Follow us on Facebook for timely updates
Collect $150 in donations and receive an Iowa City Hospice t-shirt!
Our 2019 Honorary Family: The Tauke Family!
Griffin Tauke loved crafts, Legos, sea turtles, and silly string. When Griffin was just six years old, he got sick. A few years later, after treatments and trials didn’t cure the disease, he entered hospice care.
For more than a year, Iowa City Hospice was privileged to serve Griffin and his family in their North Liberty home. Iowa City Hospice Nurse Larry Mossman visited every week, and more often when he was needed. “Larry arranged for music therapy, art therapy, and whatever we needed,” says Kelsey Tauke, Griffin’s mom. “He answered so many questions, and let me know what to expect. Larry was my support more than he was Griffin’s.”
Griffin had a great sense of humor, and loved his art therapists. “He’d find new craft ideas on Pinterest, and email them – and the next time they came, they’d bring that project with them,” says Kelsey. “They’d be laughing the whole time.”
The whole Tauke family (Griffin, mom Kelsey, dad Scott, and brother Bennett) felt included in hospice care. Throughout Griffin’s illness, the family traveled to visit family and friends, and even to San Diego for a Make-A-Wish trip to Legoland. Wherever they went, Iowa City Hospice arranged for hospice contacts and “just-in-case” care.
“I didn’t really know what to expect from hospice care,” says Kelsey. “I thought maybe they’d just bring in a hospital bed and that was it. But it was really like having an extra person that helped so much.”
As the Honorary 2019 Walk for Dignity Family, the Tauke family name will be inscribed on the Iowa City Hospice Tribute Wall at Willow Creek Park in Iowa City, along with those of 18 past Honorary Walk families. Please join the Tauke family, and hundreds of others who have been impacted by Iowa City Hospice, at our 20th Annual Walk for Dignity on Sunday, April 28.
Walk for Dignity 2019 Sponsors
A heartfelt thank you to our generous sponsors, who make this event possible:
- Hills Bank and Trust Company – $10000
- Larry & Cathy Pacha – $6000
- Dan & Colette Ciha – Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Services – $5000
- Ted Pacha Family – $5000
- River Products Company, Inc – $5000
- Twinkle Co – $5000
- Scheels All Sports – $2200
- Fin & Feather, Inc. – $1200
- Caring Hands & More – $1000
- CarePro Home Medical – $1000
- Heartland Express – $1000
- Lensing Funeral & Cremation Service – $1000
- Mercy Iowa City – $1000
- Mary and Jim Pratt – $1000
- Towncrest Pharmacy – Iowa City & Solon – $1000
- University of Iowa Community Credit Union – $1000
- University of Iowa Health Care – $1000
- AW Welt Ambrisco Insurance – $750
- Brown Deer Place Retirement Living and Memory Care – $750
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort – $750
- Town Square Family Foot Care – $750
- Apex Construction – $500
- Coldwell Banker Real Estate Professionals – $500
- Eldon C. Stutsman, Inc. – $500
- MidWestOne Bank – $500
- Randy and Lora Miller – $500
- US Bank – $500
- Southgate Companies – $250
- McComas-Lacina Construction – $200