Bereavement Support and Counseling
Our Fall 2023 Memorial Service and Butterfly Release event took place on September 10, 2023.
Please click the photo below to view the video.
Our Spring Memorial service took place at the 24th Annual Walk for Dignity on Sunday, April 30, 2023.
Please click the photo below to join us.
Grieving the loss of a loved one can be painful, isolating, and lonely. Iowa City Hospice’s grief support services are available to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, regardless of whether the person was in hospice care. We can also assist with other challenging transitions. There is no cost for any of the bereavement services provided by Iowa City Hospice.
We offer a variety of grief support services, including 1:1 counseling, support groups, education, special events and bereavement groups for children, youth and their parents/caregivers.
Bereavement and grief support services include:
- Individual and Family Support: Our Bereavement Staff remain available to you for individual and family bereavement support and information. They are readily available for:
- In-person support and information
- Phone support and information
- Video Conference support and information
- Support and information via email
- Grieving Your Loss: A professionally led support group for persons who have experienced the death of a loved one. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month .
No pre-registration is required.
- Time: 5:30 – 6:45pm
- Iowa City Hospice, 1526 Sycamore St. in Iowa City
- Understanding Your Grief Workshop: Iowa City Hospice is pleased to offer a six-week grief class. Understanding Your Grief is an adult class that will provide grief education and support to individuals who have experienced the death of a loved one. There is no cost to attend, but space is limited, so pre-registration is required. No previous involvement with hospice is necessary. For questions or to register, please call 319-351-5665 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dates: April 4, 18, May 2, 16, 30, June 6 (Thursdays)
- Time: 5:30 – 6:45pm
- Iowa City Hospice office, 1526 Sycamore Street, Iowa City
- Honoring Memories: A butterfly release event to remember loved ones. Join Iowa City Hospice staff for a time of remembrance for loved ones who have died. The event is typically in early September at The Celebration Farm in rural Iowa City. Friends and families can submit the names of lost loved ones to be read during the ceremony.
- Time of Remembrance: Walk for Dignity Memorial Service. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers prior to the start of the spring Annual Walk for Dignity (usually the 4th Sunday in April) as we remember loved ones served by Iowa City Hospice.
Also, we encourage you to explore events sponsored by Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service, including:
Breaking Bread A monthly dinner for those who have experienced a loss. Breaking Bread is not a support group, but does offer a safe, supportive environment for grievers to share a meal and socialize. 5:15 – 6:30pm, the third Wednesday of each month. Please call Lensing Funeral & Cremation to make your reservation.
For additional support information, please visit our Downloadable Resources page.
We would be honored to serve you.