Our group programs, like so many others, have been affected by COVID-19 and social distancing. Our 2020 Time of Remembrance has been recorded so you may watch it safely from home.
Grieving the loss of a loved one can be painful, isolating, and lonely. Iowa City Hospice’s grief support services are available to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, regardless of whether the person was in hospice care. There is no cost for any of the bereavement services provided by Iowa City Hospice.
We offer a variety of grief support services, including 1:1 grief counseling, support groups, grief education, special events and bereavement groups for children, youth and their parents/caregivers.
Bereavement and grief support services include:
- Bereavement Luncheons (On hold due to COVID-19): A social luncheon, open to all bereaved, that provides an opportunity to connect and share common experiences with others. Luncheons are held the 3rd Thursday of each month at Midtown 2, 1069 Highway 1 West, Iowa City, and begin at 11:30 am.
- Grieving Your Spouse or Partner (Changed due to COVID-19. Call for information.): A professionally led, ongoing support group for individuals who have lost a spouse or partner. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at Iowa City Hospice office. Beginning January 2020, choose the time that is most convenient: 2:30-3:30 pm OR 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Understanding Your Grief: A 7-session support group: A professionally led, 7-session grief support program open to adults in the community and surrounding area who are dealing with the death of a loved one. The next session will start on June 1, 2020, and will be held at the Iowa City Hospice office, on Monday evenings from 5:30 – 7:00pm. Preregistration required.
- Kamp Kaleidoscope: A professionally led, one-day day camp for children and teens between the ages of 5 – 17 who have lost a loved one. Lunch, beverages, and snacks provided. Please call us at 319-351-5665 for the date of the next camp. Pre-registration required.
- Time of Remembrance (Video link above): Spring Walk for Dignity Memorial Service: Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers prior to the start of the spring Annual Walk for Dignity as we remember loved ones served by Iowa City Hospice.
- Honoring Memories: A butterfly release event to remember loved ones. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers for a fall afternoon of healing and remembrance, surrounded by the beauty of nature and the camaraderie of friendship and shared experience.
For additional support information, please visit our Downloadable Resources page.
For more information, please contact a member of our hospice team at 800-897-3052, toll-free, or email@example.com.
We would be honored to serve you.
CommUnity offers a free Suicide Survivors Support Group on the first Thursday of each month at 1121 Gilbert Court in Iowa City. The meeting offers a safe place to talk about memories, grief and the stigma surrounding suicide. For more information, visit the CommUnity’s Support Groups page or contact Rochelle Honey-Arcement at 319-351-2726 ext. 132.
Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service offers two additional support groups. Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) is a self-help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. The group meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 – 6:30 pm. Living Through Loss (LTL) is an educational program for bereaved individuals that provides a supportive environment to receive education, support and resources to help with loss. Topics vary. The group meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 – 6:30 pm. Call 319-338-9171 for information on either of these two groups.