Grieving the loss of a loved one can be painful, isolating, and lonely. Iowa City Hospice’s grief support services are available to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, regardless of whether the person was in hospice care. There is no cost for any of the bereavement services provided by Iowa City Hospice.
We offer a variety of grief support services, including 1:1 grief counseling, support groups, grief education, special events and bereavement groups for children, youth and their parents/caregivers.
Bereavement and grief support services include:
- Individual and Family Support: Our Bereavement Staff remain available to you for individual and family bereavement support and information. They are readily available for:
- In-person support and information
- Phone support and information
- Video Conference support and information
- Support and information via email
- Bereavement Luncheons (on hold due to COVID-19): A social luncheon, open to all bereaved, that provides an opportunity to connect and share common experiences with others. Luncheons are held the 3rd Thursday of each month at Midtown 2, 1069 Highway 1 West, Iowa City, and begin at 11:30 am.
- Grieving Your Spouse or Partner: A professionally led, ongoing support group for individuals who have lost a spouse or partner. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month. Choose one session to attend:
- Afternoon session: 1:30 – 2:30pm; held virtually, via the GoTo Meeting virtual platform (Please contact us for login information: 319-351-5665)
- Evening session: 4 – 5pm; held in-person, at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City
- Understanding Your Grief: A professionally led, 7-session grief support program open to adults in the community and surrounding area who are dealing with the death of a loved one. The next 7-week session will be held in late January-February 2022. It will be held in-person at the Iowa City Hospice office. Pre-registration required.
- Kids Kamp (on hold due to COVID-19): A professionally led, one-day Day Camp for children and teens between the ages of 5 – 17 who have lost a loved one. Lunch, beverages, and snacks provided. Please call us at 319-351-5665 for the date of the next camp. Pre-registration required.
- Memorial Services:
Time of Remembrance: Walk for Dignity Memorial Service. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers prior to the start of the spring Annual Walk for Dignity as we remember loved ones served by Iowa City Hospice.
Honoring Memories: A butterfly release event to remember loved ones. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers for a September afternoon of healing and remembrance, surrounded by the beauty of nature and the camaraderie of friendship and shared experience.
Also, we encourage you to explore the following group sponsored by Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) A self-help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. Meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 pm – 6:30 pm. Call 319-338-9171 for more information.
For additional support information, please visit our Downloadable Resources page.
For more information, please contact a member of our hospice team at 800-897-3052, toll-free, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would be honored to serve you.