Our Spring Memorial service took place
at the 23rd Annual Walk for Dignity on Sunday, April 24, 2022.
Our Fall 2021 Memorial Service is available here.
Please join us to remember those we lost last year.
Grieving the loss of a loved one can be painful, isolating, and lonely. Iowa City Hospice’s grief support services are available to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, regardless of whether the person was in hospice care. There is no cost for any of the bereavement services provided by Iowa City Hospice.
We offer a variety of grief support services, including 1:1 grief counseling, support groups, grief education, special events and bereavement groups for children, youth and their parents/caregivers.
Bereavement and grief support services include:
- Individual and Family Support: Our Bereavement Staff remain available to you for individual and family bereavement support and information. They are readily available for:
In-person support and information
Phone support and information
Video Conference support and information
Support and information via email
- Bereavement Luncheons (on hold due to COVID-19): A social luncheon, open to all bereaved, that provides an opportunity to connect and share common experiences with others. Luncheons are held the 3rd Thursday of each month at Midtown 2, 1069 Highway 1 West, Iowa City, and begin at 11:30 am.
- Grieving Your Loss: A professionally led support group for persons who have experienced the death of a loved one. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month (April 14 & 28, May 12 & 26, June 9 & 23).
- Afternoon session: (online: 1:30 – 2:30pm). Join from your computer, tablet, or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/173278181 or dial in using your phone: 1-224-501-3412, access code 173-278-181
- Evening session: 5:30 – 6:30pm; held in person, at Lensing’s Kirkwood Room, 515 Kirkwood Ave., in Iowa City
- Understanding Your Grief: A professionally led 7-session grief support program open to adults in the community and surrounding area who have experienced the death of a loved one. Pre-registration required. Dates/time: May 2, 9, 16, 23, June 6, 13, 29 (Mondays; no class Mon. May 30) from 10 to 11:30am. Iowa City Hospice office at 1526 Sycamore Street in Iowa City.
- Memorial Services:
Time of Remembrance: Walk for Dignity Memorial Service. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers prior to the start of the spring Annual Walk for Dignity as we remember loved ones served by Iowa City Hospice.
Honoring Memories: A butterfly release event to remember loved ones. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers for a September afternoon of healing and remembrance, surrounded by the beauty of nature and the camaraderie of friendship and shared experience.
Also, we encourage you to explore the support groups sponsored by Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service:
Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) A self-help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. Meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 pm – 6:30 pm. Call 319-338-9171 for more information.
- Breaking Bread A monthly dinner for those who have experienced a loss. Breaking Bread is not a support group, but does offer a safe, supportive environment for grievers to share a meal and socialize. 5:30 – 7pm, 3rd Wednesday of the month. April 20, May 18, June 15. Please call Lensing funeral & Cremation to make your reservation.
For additional support information, please visit our Downloadable Resources page.
For more information, please contact a member of our hospice team at 800-897-3052, toll-free, or email@example.com.
We would be honored to serve you.