Join us for our Fall Memorial and Butterfly Release: on video!
We can still be together in spirit as we remain safely apart.
Grieving the loss of a loved one can be painful, isolating, and lonely. Iowa City Hospice’s grief support services are available to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one, regardless of whether the person was in hospice care. There is no cost for any of the bereavement services provided by Iowa City Hospice.
We offer a variety of grief support services, including 1:1 grief counseling, support groups, grief education, special events and bereavement groups for children, youth and their parents/caregivers.
Bereavement and grief support services include:
- Individual and Family Support: Our Bereavement Staff remain available to you for individual and family bereavement support and information. They are readily available for:
- In-person support and information
- Phone support and information
- Video Conference support and information
- Support and information via email
- Bereavement Luncheons (On hold due to COVID-19): A social luncheon, open to all bereaved, that provides an opportunity to connect and share common experiences with others. Luncheons are held the 3rd Thursday of each month at Midtown 2, 1069 Highway 1 West, Iowa City, and begin at 11:30 am.
- Grieving Your Spouse or Partner: A professionally led support group for persons who have experienced the death of a spouse or partner. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month through GoToMeeting. You can also dial in by phone: 1-224-501-3412, access code 173-278-181. Choose the time that is most convenient: 2:30-3:30 pm OR 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Understanding Your Grief : A 7-session support group: A professionally led, 7-session grief support program open to adults in the community and surrounding area who have experienced the death of a loved one. Pre-registration is required. Please call for the next dates of this group.
- A professionally led, one-day day camp for children and teens between the ages of 5 – 17 who have lost a loved one. Lunch, beverages, and snacks provided. Please call us at 319-351-5665 for the date of the next camp. Pre-registration required.
- Time of Remembrance (Video link above)
- Honoring Memories: A butterfly release event to remember loved ones. Join Iowa City Hospice staff and volunteers for a fall afternoon of healing and remembrance, surrounded by the beauty of nature and the camaraderie of friendship and shared experience.
For additional support information, please visit our Downloadable Resources page.
For more information, please contact a member of our hospice team at 800-897-3052, toll-free, or email@example.com.
We would be honored to serve you.
Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service offers two additional support groups. Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) is a self-help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. The group meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 – 6:30 pm. Living Through Loss (LTL) is an educational program for bereaved individuals that provides a supportive environment to receive education, support and resources to help with loss. Topics vary. The group meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room in Iowa City, from 5:15 – 6:30 pm. Call 319-338-9171 for information on either of these two groups.